Weather delays start, but schools get game in

Played under a threat of the game being called off or shortened due to lightning in the area the Booneville Junior High Bearcats managed to get their week two game in Thursday night in Gravette.

As was the case in their season opener the Bearcats found themselves behind after the game’s opening possession.

Only this time in Gravette, they responded by scoring 22 unanswered points to win 22-6 and even their record at 1-1.

Gravette (0-2) overcame an ineligible man downfield flag on the first snap of the game then benefitted from a personal foul penalty on the game’s initial 74-yard scoring march.

The Lions got 35 yards through the air from Kaleb Furlow on the way to the 19-yard Chance Austin touchdown run with 2:57 left in the opening quarter and led 6-0.

Furlow finished the night 9-of-14 for 95 yards for the Lions.

Starting a big night for himself, Andrew Robertson returned the Gravette kickoff 28 yards to the Bearcat 47 but the Bearcats eventually turned the ball over on down 7:52 before halftime.

Robertson would go on to have a sack, an even 100 yards on seven carries and score a pair of touchdowns on the night.

The Bearcat defense forced a punt that Colten Richie returned 26 yards to the Gravette 39 and, following a procedure penalty that pushed the Bearcats back five yards, Cameron Brasher got 9 yards and Robertson scored from 35 yards out to tie the game. Brasher ran for a two point conversion and an 8-6 lead with 4:48 left in the half.

Both teams threatened before the intermission, that was, in essence, an extended time out break before the third quarter began as lightning continued to be seen in the distance and rain began to fall again.

Gravette’s threat was stuffed out by Robertson’s sack and a loss on a screen play when Austin slipped after a reception.

Starting from their 45 with 51 seconds left in the half the Bearcats got to the 10 after a 34-yard Robertson carry but Evan Schlinker picked up seven of the 10 he needed on the final play of the half to keep it 8-6.

The Bearcats opened the second half with a 62-yard scoring drive that Robertson finished from the 4 and Gabe Fennell added a two point conversion for a two score lead at 16-6.

Gravette reached the Bearcat 34 before running out of downs with 7:07 to play after a dropped fourth down pass and the Bearcats put the game away with a 66-yard drive. Robertson was forced from the game during the drive and his replacement, Anthony McKesson, went 23 yards for the touchdown to make it 22-6 with 3:10 remaining.

The Lions again put together a threat, reaching the Bearcat 22 just 58 seconds later but Jacob Herrera picked off Furlow and the Bearcats ran out the clock with three Ethan Wooldridge carries.

The Bearcats will wrap up their nonconference season at Alma Thursday. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.