A second-floor kitchen fire at Rockwood Terrace Apartments off Rogers Avenue and South P St. caused about $20,000 in damage early Wednesday morning.

No injuries were reported. However, one, possibly four pets, died in the 4 a.m. fire. The three residents who live in the apartment were not there when the fire started, according to the apartment manager. As of 2 p.m. Wednesday, the residents had not returned, she added.

“A neighbor was outside and saw the fire through the window and called the fire department,” said Lesa Whatley, manager of the 163-unit, four-building apartment complex off Rogers Avenue across from Central Mall.

The fire was in an apartment located off South P Street.

The initial report by Fort Smith Fire Department Battalion Chief Terry Graves states one pet died. Whatley said she was informed by others at the apartment there were three cats and a dog that perished in the fire.

Graves’ report noted the fire was created by “equipment unattended” in the kitchen area. Whatley said she was informed a tin of oil was left on the stove top.

Six trucks and 20 fire department personnel, including two battalion chiefs and a fire marshal, responded to the call.