Winning after a first round bye.

As has been the case through the last few days, the final score is not exactly close as the Bearcats build a three touchdown lead and win by that same margin.

For number 38 we have a 2012, 41-20 game against Newport on our countdown of what a committee thinks are the 50 greatest games — so far — to have been played in Bearcat Stadium, because on Sept. 1, the stadium will open its gates for its 50th season.

Why was this game chosen? First round playoff byes had not been good to Booneville until this mid-November night in 2012 when the Bearcats scored 22 points before Newport snapped the football and went on to win a game after a bye for the first time.

What do I remember? The story was Newport decided eligibility weekly so their seeding was negatively affected so it was, stop me if you’ve head this before, the end of the road for the Bearcats.

What does Buddy Hawkins remember? I remember that a lot of people didn't think we should be there since our season record (7-3) wasn't very typical for someone with a conference title and a first round bye week. I also remember there was a lot of hype about their freshman running back that was a hoss, that didn't seem to do very much against us. The game itself I just remember we shut them down and we scored a lot of points in a hurry.

That should not be all of it. Read on.

What happened? Bryson May went 53 yards for a touchdown and two-point conversion on the opening drive and when the Greyhounds muffed the kickoff Hawkins recovered and the Bearcats scored on fourth-and-goal from the. When in doubt feed 'em a fullback so yes it was May again and with Cody Harrel's PAT it twas 15-0

A well placed kickoff was left in the open for a footrace. Hawkins won the race and two plays later Harrel hooked up with Brandon Carter for 35 yards and a touchdown and it was 22-0 with 4:37 left in the first quarter.

The freshman, Carl Taylor had 22 yards at the half and it was 28-6. A pass from Harrel to Damon May covered 29 to set up Bryson May's third TD, from the one with 48 seconds left in the half.

Newport got within 28-12 to start the second half but a failed onside kick set up Jacob Jones for a 20-yard touchdown, courtesy of a Blind Side like block by Dalton Gray.

After a Justin Shackleford sack and a Harrel interception the quarter ended with the Bearcats at the Newport 37. Harrel scored with 7:19 left for a 41-12 lead.

The Greyhounds got it to 41-20 in short order but the Bearcats recovered another onside kick and kept the ball the final 5:23, which included a scary concussion of a Newport kid that delayed the game.

Tomorrow we'll chase the big dog at 37.