With the American Cancer Society recognizing its 100th anniversary this year, numbers are a little bit bigger thing with the South Logan County Relay for Life this year.
With that in mind, here is a by the numbers look at how the latest Relay is going.
• 40,000. As in dollars, or the goal for the amount to be collected through this year’s Relay efforts.
• 28,000. Again, dollars, or the approximate amount that has been collected thus far, according to Relay chairperson Dana Green.
"We really, really would like to hit our goal the night of relay," says Green. "There will be some great food, inflatables, pony rides and pig kissing (and more).
• 5,000. The challenge issued by Logan County Judge Gus Young, who will dye his hair purple if both Relays in Logan County raise $5,000 on Relay night. The Relay in North Logan County was held in Paris last weekend.
• 18. There are 18 total teams this year raising money. They may look a little Goofy, or Mickey, or …
"Our theme this year is "Tooning Out Cancer" so each team will be in cartoon theme," says Green.
•13. The South Logan County Relay for Life has moved around some, but it will be held for the 13th year this year.
•12. Hours to walk, jog, dance, or otherwise saunter around the track at Bearcat Stadium during the Relay.
• 6. The Relay starts at 6 p.m. Friday and ends at 6 a.m. Saturday.
• 5. All cancer survivors who would like to participate in the survivor’s lap to kick off the Relay are more than welcome, but Green says any who did not pre-register during a survivor’s and sponsor’s banquet held last weekend, should register by 5 p.m. Friday.
• 4. This is the fourth straight year Green has served as chairperson for the event.
• 2. There are two honorary chairpersons for the 2013 Relay in Jack Weisenbach and Leslie Oliver.
Wesienbach and Oliver will lead the survivor’s lap to kick off the Relay. Survivors who have not already done so, or who missed the survivor’s/sponsor’s banquet Saturday are asked to RSVP to Janie Wann at 479-466-8053 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 1. As in event winner, there will be all sorts of contests including the Relay princess who will be crowned during the festivities, the annual tug-of-war between Bearcat alumni and current players and a womanless beauty contest.
"We are calling all Bearcat alumni and current Bearcats to come out and participate and help us raise money," Green said of the tug-of-war and, about the beauty contest added, "So any fellas who would like to come show off his beauty we will gladly welcome him."
• 0. Organizers cannot think of a single reason to not be involved.